Haiku My Heart

Hawk on a wire
Right of place from post to post
A mouse!  Is it mine?


In the farmland of SE Missouri, on the Mississippi River, the meaning of flat can be best understood.  For as far as the eye can see, and more, the land is flat, not a roll or a knoll in sight.  

Miles of electrical lines and phone lines follow secondary county roads and rural routes.  And for miles and miles, each section of wire is occupied by a hawk.  Its territory is clearly marked.  I noticed this repeatedly 3 years ago when I was there for an extended stay.  

Now that I am moving there, in 18 shorts days, I wonder. Will I finally discover the secret of catching prey?  Are there invisible lines crossing the fields that define a territory as clearly as the posts lined up along the road?  

There is a mystery here I will have to take the time to find the answer for. If a mouse appears and runs for cover, will it cross over to another territory then to be picked up by another hawk?  Time and patience will give me an end to my story.

Comments

  1. Hi Annie -- glad to find you here! Nice haiku, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawk takes action faster than a haiku!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Quick. Go back, Lea. I've updated the haiku with the inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Ich finde das Haiku klasse ;-)
    Wer hat mehr Glück , die Maus oder der hungrige Vogel . . . ?
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traurig zu sagen, aber ich denke der Falke.

      Delete
  4. What a terrific appetizer for my camera trying to photograph those hawks. Your new adventure sounds really exciting. Congratulations on having made such a fine Decision! Her's to your exciting discovery days ahead. I am anticipating on spending today with grandchildren, that's always a wonderful reason to plan my day around. Thanks for dropping by.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting. It would very much be worth it to find out. All the best, Annie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your story! Love your waiting for prey, along with the hawk! May you find your heart's desire in a new land, in this new time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story begins sounding sad, Annie. I so hope you will like your new place. It is truly a different world than California. I will be right here with you exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to comment on your contemplative haiku but your photo caught my eye first ~ both wonderful and wishing you the best in your moving ~ quite the transition.

      Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

      Delete
    2. Indeed it is, Carol. Many adventures ahead of me.

      Delete
  9. All my best to you in your travels dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited for you Annie, the mystery of it all, just what is needed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts