Saturday in Dyersburg, Tennessee

We finally got connected to ATT U-Verse a week ago and I happily announced that I was online again.  Since then, every time I try to post something, DAYS go by.  Finding time is crazy hard.  Moving and settling in and two households living in one house is a difficult balancing act.  Today I got another introduction to my new world and I am determined to get Saturday’s adventure posted.

This past Saturday I woke up feeling the first pangs of homesickness.  As I sat on the sofa, in the quiet time of no one else being awake, I received a text message from Jane, who is a childhood friend of Don's and has pretty much adopted me. An hour later, she kidnapped me and off we went to Dyersburg (TN).  Our first stop was breakfast at Cracker Barrel, a food staple of the Southeast (and other parts?)  After fueling ourselves with a small (yes, small) breakfast, Jane started showing me around.


Our first stop was Pennington Seed and Supply Co.  My phone camera got busy before I ever got inside the store.  Like Caruthersville, the downtown area is dying (to my eyes anyway)  Unlike Caruthersville, there are many businesses surrounding and around the town outside of the Courthouse Square.  It really is a pity because the courthouse is a handsome building.

But just on the outside of the square, you find Pennington's AND, some interesting ghost signs of a former business.  The outside wall of Pennington's, itself, has an old window space bricked in with newer brick making an interesting contrast between the old and "new" brick.





Pennington's has been around for a long time and has a few locations and retailers that also offer their seed products, etc.  Walking into Pennington's is like walking into a backyard farmer's/gardener's wonderland.  I saw seed products for cream corn, several Lima bean types, pole beans, black-eyed peas, and more.  Of course, being thoroughly ignorant of growing beans as opposed to eating beans, I wondered aloud if they were edible.  Jane, being a farmer, just laughed at me and then said, "no".


When was the last time you saw a seed bin like this?  This is purely for display now, but don't you love the old seed envelopes?
And here is one of the Penningtons himself.  He was a very nice man who cheerfully showed this transplanted West Coast girl all around his old school style business.  I found a 10 lb bag of cactus/succulent potting soil and, out in the nursery, I found an aloe to start up my succulent collection again.



Next door, they also have a display room of mid-century collectibles and lodge pole style furniture that would be perfect for a lakefront cabin.  









I thought this sign was particularly appropriate since we have a very cool screened in porch.  I imagine that many private conversations will be had out there and what's said on the porch, stays on the porch.



I couldn't resist taking a picture of the baseball lamp.  It would be perfect for our little slugger, Sebastian.





Don informs me that we have one of these storm lanterns.  We also have several oil lamps the previous owner(s) left behind.  After I get them cleaned up, I'm bringing one to Pennington's to see about getting proper wicks and oil. Around here, storms are pretty ferocious and losing electricity the rule rather than the exception.  



One last peek, as we headed out of town, revealed another fun corner of goodies.  I have one of those washboards.  It will be fun hanging it by the mud room/laundry room door.  I'm thinking of painingt "Laundry, 5 cents a load" on it.




I love the view of the C'ville Bridge as we cross the river back into Missouri.  And I never fail to watch for barges and try for a picture as I cross over.  Unfortunately, there is no walking allowed on the bridge so unless I can get down to the shoreline, this is the best I'll be able to do.













Comments

  1. Different, isnt it Mz. Anniegirl, from California?
    Being a southern girl, all this is not new to me but
    you writing about it is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the most awesome place, I could probably hang out here for hours! I bet it was lunchtime when you left, and time for another meal! Growing up, we had a large screened in porch, and it was the hub of all the activity. Even after 60 years, I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your new world through your eyes Annie. Thank you for sharing this with us, it is all new to me and I can see that I will be sitting/standing on my tip toes for another glimpse! I hope you feel all the love coming your way for new beginnings, new adventures, new discoveries, and new friends... that old song just popped into my head... "make new friends, but keep the old... one is silver and the other gold..." XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that old song. I remember it from scouting days. I have another post I'm preparing. I found myself in a little piece of Deliverance world yesterday.

      Delete
  4. FROM OUR FRIEND, MIKE:
    Wendy and I are going to Virginia for a week or two, but when we get back, say the word and I'll take you to the bank of the river under the bridge. you will love it. also, with the bridge in mind, I might have a present for you if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have a friend in the area to help you discover new things and places. But don't worry about writing and blogging on any schedule till you're settled. Of COURSE you are crazy busy -- you just moved thousands of miles! It'll settle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FROM MY FRIEND BIENE:
    This is a wonderful way to showcase those great talents of yours. The photos are wonderful, the words match. I still think moving for your and Don is a big plus. I understand that it is difficult, but some of the ties are now in KY. You’re also closer to TX. :) Big hug, Anne. B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts