Country canning, city sensibilities

I decided, before moving, to try my hand at activities I had not done before or at least for a very, very long time.  What I know about canning I can claim only from attempts done most recently in the late '80s. So basicly, I'm a rank beginner.

I picked up a dozen pint jars because I didn't know where the four jars were that I DID have.  Still packed, you see.  I found a simple recipe for canning tomatoes, gathered the ingredients, and went to work. Here is what I learned.

Sixteen vine ripe tomatoes make two jars of canned tomatoes.  The third jar in the pan is mainly juice, sage, and oregano.

It is important to have more space in a kitchen than I have in mine.

It is essential to have the right tools to do the job most efficiently.

It is important to buy a lot of tomatoes (or whatever veggie you are canning) at the lowest price. Otherwise, you end up with 2-3 jars of very expensive tomatoes.  Low yield is not a good thing.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed my experience and wouldn't mind trying it again.  Next time I might make bread and butter pickles.  A certain pirate I know loves them and a well fed pirate is a happy pirate. So, yo-ho-ho and off for more canning I will go. After all, I have 9 more jars to fill.


Comments

  1. I will say pickles are much easier that tomatoes. I would probably freeze tomatoes because they need more careful preparation. With the vinegar in the pickles they are pretty safe and easy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I will probably blanch and freeze next time. There would also be less waste then.

      Delete
  2. Good for you --for trying that !!! My Mom used to can and she made the best Bread and Butter Pickles I have ever eaten... I've never had any that good since..... BUT---I never had the interest... I was such a tomboy--always just wanted to be outside playing cops and robbers... ha ha

    Bet those 'maters' will taste yummy come winter.....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My back is hurting just reading this. But looks like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did Marionberry jam last week. Chuck wants to try making pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. This pirate is looking forward to those pickles. And a by-the-way to the readers...I actually do have a pirate license, from Treasure Island, when it was a Navy base. And guess what I always dressed as for Halloween, when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the last two years I made freezer strawberry jam. Last year I took all the jars with me for Christmas and the grandkids went wild. Straight from the freezer it goes down just like ice cream. I canned the peach jam last year, but this year, because of the ease of the freezer jam, I made some. I have a container ready to be processed and should have done it today, but tomorrow will have to do. I have left over processed jars from years ago, which is not good. Freezer jam is probably going to be my thing. You have found a fun, and possibly one of life's more expensive hobbies. Enjoy! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm doomed. The possibilities are endless.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts